Home
Events
Reviews
History
Contact
Gallery Museum
Directions Volunteers
Links




The Glove Theatre
42 North Main St.
Gloversville, NY 12078
518-773-8255


History

The Glove Theatre was built October 9, 1914 and was owned by Dr. Henry Cady and George Dartch. The Glove was originally created to accommodate a variety of live performances such as opera, vaudeville shows and orchestral concerts.

The theatre was purchased by Louis and J. Myer Schine and was converted into a vaudeville house in 1920. Two shows, one in the afternoon and one in the evening, were performed daily.

  

   The Glove Theatre has undergone many changes since 1914, such as the full marquee that was erected in 1939 to replace the small oval sign. The theatre saw it's peak as one of the premeir entertainment venues in Fulton and Montgomery counties during the 1940's and 1950's. Starting in 1960, movie ticket sales declined and the Glove was sold. Movies were shown until the 1970's and then the doors were closed.

Saving the building from becoming a parking lot in 1995, a group of dedicated individuals set out to restore the Glove. The news of the Glove's rebirth generated a burst of community enthusiasm. Money was raised to stabilize the structure and throughout the last decade, volunteers have continued to work diligently to restore the Glove to it's former prominence.



Web Site by Anthem Design